English Hrvatski Deutsch Français Polish""
Dubrovnik Coast Tourist board
Slano, Croatia
Slano, Croatia

FIND ACCOMMODATION

  • What a hotel, apartment, camp?
  • Number of persons?
  • Children?
  • Check-in date
  • Check-out date

Prehistory

Gomile – Tumuli
Gomile – TumuliThe mounds and heaps of stone were characteristic of both this and the wider region, in the form of tumuli as part of a fortifi ed system of walled settlements and places of ritual. They were always situated in the vicinity of hill-fort locations, at strategic places, along communication lines, above fi elds, and most of all, along cliff edges. The largest necropolis of cairns, not only in the area of the Dubrovnik Coast, but also in the entire southern Adriatic region, is between the settlements of Visočani and Lisac, where 48 cairns have been recorded.

 

 

Late Ancient Period

Slano - Lapidarij
Lapidarij u vrtu Franjevačkog samostana u SlanomuThe location of the Franciscan Monastery of St Jerome was known to archaeological mapping at the beginning of the 20th century. Then, four early Christian sarcophagi
and two tombs were found in a garden called “U đardinu”. One sarcophagus is dated in epigraph:

 

 

 

Pre-romanesque Period

«Rotonda»
Crkva «Rotonda» u OšljemRemains of a church can be found on the slope of a mount, to the north of the village of Ošlje, at a location called Bijela lokva. The dedicated saint is unknown, whilst the local people call it “Rotonda”, “Banovi dvori” and “Mirine”. Eight semi-circular apses both
from the interior and interior are distributed in a circular confi guration.
The eight-leaf layout has a rectangular narthex (a porch) on the western side, from which the bell- tower once rose. This is the only example in the south Adriatic of a pre- Romanesque building with an eight-leaf layout, above which there used to be a dome. The church is dated to the 9th or
10th century.
 

Stećci (upright tombs)
StećciThese mysterious monuments from our cultural and historical heritage appeared
from the end of the 13th to the middle of the 16th century. They are stone markers for
the resting place of our dead. They were placed around churches, in medieval cemeteries, on prehistoric mounds, but most frequently along paths. Some of
them are decorated with scenes from life, tendrils, palmettes (ornaments in the form of a palm leaf), motifs from tournaments, hunting, wheels, human fi gures, etc.

 

 

The Monastery and the Church of St. Jerome in Slano
Samostan i crkva sv. Jeronima u Slanomu
It is situated to the south of the town of Slano, on a dominant place overlooking the entire bay, the channel and nearby hills. It is separated from the town by a road leading from the coast to the Prince’s Palace. The Republic of Dubrovnik, immediately after acquiring the Dubrovnik Coast in 1399, granted permission to Bosnian Franciscans to build a monastery, in order to suppress Bogomilism. It refers to the donors of the church: the Gradić family, father Julije and sons Matej and Marin.

 

 

The Prince’s Palace

The Prince’s Palace is situated in the north-eastern part of the town of Slano on the main road. Specifi c functions – the prince’s apartment and the administrative centre of the newly acquired territory of the Coast (in 1399), which infl uenced the imposing nature of the building complex, resembling a high enclosed block, reminiscent more of a fortifi ed estate than an
offi cial residence.

Church of St. Blaise
Crkva sv. VlahaIt is situated in the eastern part of the town of Slano along the path leading to Banja. This is a oneaisled building with a rectangular apse. The ceiling of the nave has a
mirror vault, and there is a barrel vault around the shrine. The main façade is framed by a portal with an open gable, and a decorated stylistic palmette. On the doorframe
of the portal, there is a Latin inscription which dates the building of the church to 1758: ADNI MDCCLVIII HAS TIBI DIVE BLASI LETUNICH STRUXERAT AEDES SACRAVITQ(VE) SUO CUM GREACE POSTOR OPUS. The two-storey building of the parish court was built next to the shrine.


Church of St. Rocco
Crkva sv. RokaIt is situated in the north-western part of the village of Grgurići. The layout is in the form of an elongated rectangle with a narrower rectangular shrine, with the sacristy to the south side. On the western side of the nave, there is a wooden choir-stall with an inscription referring to the donor as Tonko, the son of Marko Gradić, who consecrated the church to St. Rocco and the Saint Magicians Cosmas and Damian, as a prayer against the plague, which ravaged Slano around 1527. There is an altar painting by the Dutch painter Marten de Vos from the end of the 16th century, with an iconographic depiction of the votive saints.

 

 

Ohmučević Summerhouse

It is situated in the northeast part of the town of Slano. The Ohmučević family has been known in Slano since the 15th century. They are the oldest, most populous and best-known family of the region. According to tradition, they settled in Slano in 1300 under the name Grgurići. During the Republic of Dubrovnik, they were excellent seamen and shipowners. Petar Ohmučević was a great admiral of the Spanish Navy during the reign of Philip II (16th century).

Graničnik (a stone border)
GraničnikGraničnik, a stone monolith, marking the north-western border of the territory of the previous Republic of Dubrovnik, is situated by the edge of the road lead leading
from Imotica towards Neum. It bears the engraving: CONFINE TURCO KLEP 1728. It was put in place after the Turkish-Venetian-Austrian war of 1715 to 1718, when it was agreed, at the Treaty of Požarevac, that the area of the Dubrovnik Republic
should maintain a direct territorial connection with Turkey. This allowed the Dubrovnik Republic to maintain the Turkish enclaves (Neum, Klek, Sutorina) between Venice and Dubrovnik and ensured undisturbed trade with the hinterland and Turkish provinces in general.

  • The History of the Dubrovnik Coast
    Supposed remains from the Neolithic period have not yet been found within the municipal boundaries of the Dubrovnik Coast. The possible Neolithic locationof Špilja, to the west of the village of Đonta Doli will probably determine the ancient history of the area.
Follow Us!   Facebook Twitter
Slano, Dubrovnik kuca meda novakovo greblje